VAC appreciation society.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VAC appreciation society.

Here it is, Thought Criminals. a fan-site for VAC by the people, for the people.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Devilstator

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 8:30 pm

Yeah, I posted about this new genre on the official forum, but as expected, almost anything that can't be summarised as EEEEEVIL or OONTZ OONTZ is not gonna get much response there.

So, copy pasta ftw.

Am I the only one here intrigued by this new sound, straight outta London?

For those not in the know, dubstep is a relatively new genre, having only emerged in the UK underground scene in the early 2000s. Musically it is descended from the ideas and traditions of jungle, drum'n'bass, dub and reggae - space, bass, and sparsity. It is quite a sinister sound, with emphasis on thundering basslines, syncopated beats and a dark mood. Given the genre's youth, there still is a wide variety in sound, from paranoid technoid mutants to warmer, reggae-infused tracks to entrancing headphone-fillers borrowing from traditional ethnic music.

If you live in the UK, you've probably heard some of it a fair bit, especially Skream's insta-classic Midnight Request Line. Anyone who's seen the movie Childrens of Men will have heard the tracks Anti-War Dub by Digital Mystikz and Backward by Kode 9 and the Spaceape, which are included on the soundtrack.

Anyways, enough of my blabbering, time to let the music speak for itself:

Mala from Digital Mystikz
Skream
Benga
Loefah
Vex'd
Kode 9
Burial
Goth Trad

Short documentary on the music

Skream - Midnight Request Line

Kode 9 & Spaceape - 9 Samurai video

Skream Essential Mix

Yeah, so, go crazy. Or, well, not.
Back to top Go down
egsenTrick

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 2:13 am

i've only listened to the 1st one, ut it reminds me of trancy- stuff i heard at raves in the mid 90's of northern california.
Back to top Go down
egsenTrick

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 3:08 pm

listened to skream.

yeah, this sounds like stuff i heard as a kid while going to raves in the santa cruz/big sur/san francisco/monterey.. mid 90's no cal rave music.

seems like any type of music emerging can be traced to elsewhere; smaller world(as in easier to get information from different parts of the globe) perhaps?
Back to top Go down
Devilstator

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 5:02 pm

It's pretty weird, that, since dubstep has only been around since 2000 or so, and only broke through last year.

Plus it's influences are quite British too...
Back to top Go down
rivetidiot

rivetidiot

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 5:41 pm

I've been getting into glitch and breakcore a lot.

Mothboy is fucking incredible, as is Shitmat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/dissent23/
Devilstator

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 6:33 pm

That's awesome, but what does that have to do with dubstep?
Back to top Go down
rivetidiot

rivetidiot

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 7:23 pm

Nothing, it's called a threadjack.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/dissent23/
egsenTrick

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 5:46 am

Devilstator wrote:
It's pretty weird, that, since dubstep has only been around since 2000 or so, and only broke through last year.

Plus it's influences are quite British too...

music seems to hop the globe anymore.

perhaps the label for that type has been around since about 2000. wouldn't be a first where a type of music was labeled after it was made.
Back to top Go down
Devilstator

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 3:25 am

Hmm, I dunno.

Btw, you need to check out some other names to get a full idea of the sound's variety. Kode 9 and the Spaceape sound very dark and cinematic, very apocalyptic. Lyrics abbout aliens and the dark side of human nature, and the like.

Burial's self-titled is probably not the timeless classic all the over-eager journos are already calling it, but it is a very good album with a very interesting approach. Very minimal, very ambient.

Also take a look at Boxcutter's Oneiric album for an IDM/glitch take on the genre. Pretty cool stuff there.
Back to top Go down
egsenTrick

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 10:18 am

i'll check it out, though i'm kinda really digging noise at the moment.. found a saved podcast of wierd crap outta the east coast of the u.s.

here;s a link

http://www.radio4all.net/proginfo.php?id=22347

oddly enough, it clears my mind to write at length.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Empty
PostSubject: Re: D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?   D-d-d-d-d-dubstep? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

D-d-d-d-d-dubstep?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VAC appreciation society. :: Musician Wunderland. :: Other Bands-
Jump to: