VAC appreciation society.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VAC appreciation society.

Here it is, Thought Criminals. a fan-site for VAC by the people, for the people.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Sisters of Mercy.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
KaptKinky
Admin
KaptKinky

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 5:31 pm

It all began with a bad CoF cover of 'No time to Cry'.

DJ CyberBitch gave me the giant sampler pack, and while I was zooming through it I came across a slower, less shitty version of No Time To Cry. I dug up info and found out it was Sisters of Mercy.

More digging led me to the 8-minute version of Temple of Love, three different cuts of Detonation Boulevard, and quite a bad ass song called 1969.

It's been a long time since I bought CD's, but I actually went out and bought all the Sisters albums I could. Boys/Girls wander by mistake, Overbombing, Flood, you name it, I've got everything.

So, Who else here is a Sisters Fan?
Back to top Go down
https://velvetacidchrist.forumotion.com
Devilstator

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 5:51 pm

Me (and apparently singlespeed too, whoever he is)

That COF cover is absolutely dire.... totally shat all over the original. Evil or Very Mad

To date I only have First and Last and Always (bloody classic!) Vision Thing and Some Girls Wander by Mistake, which I haven't properly checked out yet.

Btw, I think 1969 is a Stooges cover.
Back to top Go down
KaptKinky
Admin
KaptKinky

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 6:08 pm

I've been wondering about that song. Sisters came about durring the later bat-cave era, I believe, and if the lead was 21 in 69, then holy fuck, did he look good for his age in the Temple of Love vid from '92.

Iggy, on the other hand, still looked like shit. So did Alice.
Back to top Go down
rivetidiot

rivetidiot

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 2:23 am

Once upon a time I was.

Now, not so much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/dissent23/
singlespeed

singlespeed

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 pm

my avator speaks for itself. i belive the song is 1959. comes before " this corrosion" ( there stairway to heaven) on floodland.
Back to top Go down
KaptKinky
Admin
KaptKinky

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 pm

It was your avi that spurred my idea for this topic.

Hmm. According to my discog, there's a 59 and 69. One is a piano song, another is the Stoogees-like song.
Back to top Go down
singlespeed

singlespeed

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 11:58 pm

his name is andrew eldridge, and he is a legend . from leeds england if i recall corectly.
Back to top Go down
singlespeed

singlespeed

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 12:12 am

perhaps u r right. don't know as much as i should about "stooges". but if you don't have "floodland" well .. jesus christmas.. may sound abit dated now but if you like what you said you have than it's a must. i have killer live shit too. they are great live. toured just over a year ago. he dosen't make new music though, i think.. " trans eruo exess" live is sick. the (stones) "gimme shelter "cover is all time. there cover of "comfortably numb" (pf) amazing..
Back to top Go down
singlespeed

singlespeed

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 12:13 am

1959 is the piano song. slow balladish.
Back to top Go down
Devilstator

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:51 pm

I think Andrew Eldritch is the only person ever to have a fetish for Goth-denial AND stretching out perfectly good songs to breaking point.

Seriously, This Corrosion more than ten minutes long? Whatever next, the Prodigy making a two-hour opera out of Firestarter?
Back to top Go down
KaptKinky
Admin
KaptKinky

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 12:04 pm

Devilstator wrote:
I think Andrew Eldritch is the only person ever to have a fetish for Goth-denial AND stretching out perfectly good songs to breaking point.

Seriously, This Corrosion more than ten minutes long? Whatever next, the Prodigy making a two-hour opera out of Firestarter?

Be careful, you might speak this into existance. Remember Metallica's 'Classical' albums? Same shit happened when someone said 'Man, Metallica would never make a classical album like KISS did'.
Back to top Go down
egsenTrick

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 3:11 am

Devilstator wrote:

why not?

it's not altogether uncommon to have 10 minute songs.

just finding a wide enough audience with the attention span in sounds of over 10 minutes is difficult. unless you throw in another medium, like visual aspects- fantasia

i only liked certain songs from sisters of mercy, though.
Back to top Go down
Devilstator

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 5:37 pm

It's not about attention spans, it's about appropriate length. I love continous mixes of over an hour, also Jethro Tull's 44-minute epic Thick as a Brick. My attention span is fine.

Do you think a 1-2-3-4 three-chords hardcore punk song would work for 14 minutes?

Do you think a psytrance track would work for 1:45 mins?

This Corrosion is a great song, no question about that. But simply repeating the same structure for ten minutes... boring. Despite the choral intro, it's a club shaker at heart, not a pondersome Dream Theater epic. So why act like you're Keith Emerson when you're really Timbaland?
Back to top Go down
egsenTrick

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 10:16 am

i think i understand your point more now.

though, i'm tempted to look for a 3 chord, 4/4 punk song just for the sake of being a jerk.

off hand, dick dale (though, not considered punk, seems to have influenced a lot of so. cal. punk bands) has songs somewhere around 10 minutes that are 4/4 and about 3 chords that i can tell. i think it's called "toreador" (i think it means bullfighter in spanish)

i'm sure someone could come up with a psytrance piece that lasted 1:45. probably used in a commercial on television or radio commerial in the u.s.

i would agree, though, that certain manners of playing/styles are more apt to certain lengths. but boundries seem to be easily streached with creative peoples, like musicians and visual artists.
Back to top Go down
KaptKinky
Admin
KaptKinky

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2007 8:35 pm

egsenTrick wrote:
i think i understand your point more now.

though, i'm tempted to look for a 3 chord, 4/4 punk song just for the sake of being a jerk.

off hand, dick dale (though, not considered punk, seems to have influenced a lot of so. cal. punk bands) has songs somewhere around 10 minutes that are 4/4 and about 3 chords that i can tell. i think it's called "toreador" (i think it means bullfighter in spanish)

i'm sure someone could come up with a psytrance piece that lasted 1:45. probably used in a commercial on television or radio commerial in the u.s.

i would agree, though, that certain manners of playing/styles are more apt to certain lengths. but boundries seem to be easily streached with creative peoples, like musicians and visual artists.

Dick Dale is an un-holy bastard of the guitar. The Chuck Berry of rock-a-billy, psycho-billy, and classical guitar work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sisters of Mercy. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sisters of Mercy.   Sisters of Mercy. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sisters of Mercy.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VAC appreciation society. :: Musician Wunderland. :: Other Bands-
Jump to: